A new lawsuit against the University of Southern California alleges that the college reportedly ignored reports from multiple women claiming to have been sexually abused by the on-campus OBGYN during their routine exams.
According to NBC, five women who say they were molested by the campus gynecologist at the University of Southern California filed the first of what is expected to be dozens of lawsuits against the doctor and the college, which is accused of covering up complaints for years.
Four of the plaintiffs, who are identified only as Jane Does, are represented by attorney John Manly, who just negotiated a $500 million settlement with Michigan State University in the Dr. Larry Nassar sex abuse scandal. A fifth woman filed a separate suit.
As Reported By La Times:
USC Provost Michael Quick issued a letter Monday morning apologizing to Tyndall’s patients and rebutting the notion that top administrators chose to ignore complaints by patients and staff.
“It is true that our system failed, but it is important that you know that this claim of a cover-up is patently false,” Quick wrote in a letter. “We would never knowingly put students in harm’s way.”
Quick added that “settlements never sound appropriate,” but given USC’s size and complexity, “it is often the most expedient way to remove someone from the university.”
The provost said that the university’s senior leadership did not learn about the complaints against Tyndall until 2017.
John Manly, an Orange County lawyer who is representing four former patients, disagreed and said it was evident that the university ignored complaints about Tyndall for years.
“It doesn’t matter how many people get hurt. It is all about protecting USC’s reputation,” said Manly, who helped secure a $500-million settlement last week from Michigan State University for scores of former patients of Dr. Larry Nassar.