The US Army charged Special Forces Maj. Matthew Golsteyn with premeditated murder and he could face the death penalty for killing a Taliban bomb-maker in Afghanistan. The Army reopened an investigation on Major Matthew Golsteyn after a FOX News interview with Bret Baier.
The Taliban bomb-maker allegedly built a bomb that killed two US Marines.
Special Forces Maj. Matthew Golsteyn was charged with allegedly shooting and killing the suspected bomb maker in 2010, Task and Purpose reported Thursday. He was deployed with the 3rd Special Forces Group at the time of the alleged incident, according to Army Times.
Golsteyn has been charged with premeditated murder and could face the death penalty, Golsteyn’s attorney, Phillip Stackhouse, told the Times.
“Maj. Golsteyn is being charged with the murder of an Afghan male during his 2010 deployment to Afghanistan,” U.S. Army Special Operations Command spokesman Lt. Col. Loren Bymer told Task and Purpose Thursday.
As Written By Army Times:
The first indications that the major may have been involved in the alleged killing didn’t surface until a 2011 interview he had with CIA representatives in which he said he’d killed the man.
He told the interviewers that after repeated attacks, his unit captured the alleged bomb-maker, who was identified by locals as Taliban. Those same witnesses feared the man would retaliate against them.
Golsteyn and another soldier then allegedly took the suspected bomb-maker off base, shot him and buried him.
The subsequent investigation resulted in administrative action recommending his discharge but no criminal charges.
Golsteyn remained in a sort of legal limbo on administrative leave. He saw his Silver Star, earned during the same deployment, and his Special Forces tab revoked.
Then, during a 2016 interview with Fox News, Golsteyn again recounted the alleged events of the man’s death. That triggered a new investigation, which ultimately resulted in last week’s murder charge.